
Allow me to build up to that moment though. Monday night as I was coming home, the nice calm darkness was suddenly interupted by red/blue flashing lights in my rear view mirror. I couldn't figure why I was being pulled over, I actually wasn't speeding, but come to find out the light on my license plate was out. No big deal right? As I attempted to get my drivers license, proof of insurance and registration together for the officer I quickly realized that admists all my old registration papers there was not a current one, in fact there wasn't one since 2009(paper work must have got mixed up in our move)...ouch!!! Well $142 later I slowly drove home. The connection...in my front seat I had a mail scale from work because I was going to weigh Jacobs Pine Wood Derby car that we had been putting together. Please use your imagination on this one but imagine the officer, coming up on my passenger door side (remember I am driving a little ganster car purchased in East LA - low profile tires), flashligt in hand, sweeping my car to make sure the situation is safe, there on the front seat is a scale...it is no wonder he asked what it was. At least he didn't quickly pull me out of the car and slam me down on the hood for potential drug dealing:) Great way to start your week!

Anyway this year Jake has done much of the design and building of his Pine Wood Derby. He drew out the shape, sanded and painted it. Then he had to add a lego catapult and propellars on the side just for personality. Monday night late as I was spinning his tires I just knew this poor car (although great looking) didn't have a chance. I decided to take the wheels off his previous car that had won and put them on his new car...much improvement. I felt confident that he would be able to win at least one heat (probably not the entire derby though). Well I was about as correct as the weather man. It was a double elimination tournament and 2 strikes and we were out. Poor Jake didn't lose it but it was close and I felt like the Biggest Loser (Dad that is:) Once the sting of defeat wore off he had fun with the other kids and it was a great evening...he even got an award for the most creative car. I'm just glad this is the last year I will be doing the Pine Wood Derby...

On to more positive happenings. Kate had 2 basketball games Saturday and she did Awesome. She score I think 3 baskets in the first game and the only basket in her second game. She is loving basketball.

Other highlights of the week...Thursday night I played church basketball and managed to escape without any major injuries. Friday, Sarah and I went to the temple and did initatory work...definitely a refreshing reminder of some really neat promises. Of course it wouldn't be a temple trip without Alfredo Chicken pizza and endless salad and bread sticks at Olive Garden:)

Saturday was Brooke's first special day, she wanted to paint rocks and so we ended up making a multicolored butterfly with eyes and poke-a-dots. She was thinking she was cool stuff (she even chose breakfast...letter pancakes and eggs:) We had Kate's b-ball games and then I took the older kids to the Stampfli's basketball game in Nysa. After that game the kids begrudingly helped me fix a stationary bike for an old patient (elderly). We then headed out to Pizza Hut with the Stampfi's for dinner following by games at our house. The Stampflis are so nice! It was a lot of fun but ended up being a late night (which equated to some grumpy sunday goers).
That about does it for us...hope everyone had a great week.
Love
Dave, Sarah, Jake, Kate, Maddie & Maddie